Spirit of Niagara
Nomination Form – 2012 Awards
Return to the Chamber of Commerce by 5 pm January 11th, 2013.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake residents, businesses operating within the municipal boundaries of the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake and/or members of the Chamber of Commerce are eligible for nomination.
- A business or individual may be nominated for one or more awards.
- A nomination form must be accompanied by the nominee’s profile and a statement providing information for judging each category entered.
- The committee shall select those who best qualify for each category from the submitted nominations.
- Awards will be presented at a social evening January 29, 2013 at White Oaks Conference Resort.
Tickets are available for this event:
- Sponsored table (10 seats plus sponsorship), $500
- Individual tickets, $40 each
Description of Awards and Previous Winners
Christopher Newton Award for Extraordinary Vision in Business
Awarded to a business, group or individual whose awareness of market trends and unique approach to marketing demonstrates a commitment to the industry and long-term vision. Generally, their support of community projects is indicative of excellent corporate citizenship.
- 2011 winner, Niagara District Airport
- 2010 winner, Mike Williscraft, Niagara This Week
- 2009 winner, Balance Fitness Studio
- 2008 winner, John Marynissen, Marynissen Winery
- 2007 winner, Rainer Hummel, Hummel Group of Companies
- 2006 winner; Sue Murray, Niagara’s Finest Inns
- 2005 winner; John Weins of Riverbend Inn & Vineyards/Klaus Reif of Reif Estate Winery
- 2004 winner, The Wineries of Niagara-on-the-Lake Marketing Group
- 2003 winner, Joseph Pohorly-Joseph’s Estate Wines
- 2002 winner, Donald Triggs of Jackson-Triggs Estate Winery
Company of the Year Award
Awarded to a business that has made a significant impact on its industry by demonstrating outstanding growth and development. The nominee should be considered to be a leader in the community. The business will not necessarily have been in business for a long time, but is actively involved in the community and demonstrates its good corporate citizenship.
- 2011 winner, Niagara's Finest Inns
- 2010 winner, Niagara Motors
- 2009 winner, Meridian Credit Union
- 2008 winner, St Davids Hydroponics
- 2007 winner, The Club at White Oaks
- 2006 winner; Shaw Festival
- 2005 winner; Grape Growers of Ontario
- 2004 winner, White Oaks Conference Resort & Spa
- 2003 winner, Newville Candles
- 2002 winner, Regal Florist & Garden Centre
Chamber of Commerce Community Leadership Award
Awarded to a business, group or individual that has made an outstanding contribution to the community, large or small, within the last year or who has shown continuous community spirit over a number of years.
- 2011 winner, Stan Harrington and Daymon Raso
- 2010 winner, John Wiens & the Community Centre Fundraising Team
- 2009 winner, Niagara-on-the-Lake Volunteer Firefighters
- 2008 winner, Niagara-on-the-Lake Family Health Team
- 2007 winner, Niagara Classic Cars
- 2006 winner; Friends of the Film Festival
- 2005 winner; Heritage Designation Committee
- 2004 winner, Niagara College
- 2003 winner, Physician Recruitment Committee (Mr. Greg Berti)
- 2002 winner, Laura Dodson
Peter Ling Award presented to the Entrepreneur of the Year
Awarded to an individual or a group that has shown initiative and/or innovation in a business venture or project. Business need not operate year ‘round.
- 2011 winner, Original Icewine Festival Committee – Greg Berti, Hillebrand
- 2010 winner, Frog Pond Winery
- 2009 winner, Paul Dickson, Irish Design
- 2008 winner, Catherine O’Donnell, Willow Cakes & Pastries
- 2007 winner, Ruth Anne and Kirk Schreifer, the Pie Plate
- 2006 winner; Jane Langdon, Wine Country Cooking School
- 2005 winner; John Kinney, Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours
- 2004 winner, Tony Hendriks-Hendriks Valu Mart
- 2003 winner, Stephanie & Justine Lakeit-Caroline Cellars
- 2002 winner, Kevin Neufeld-Beau Chapeau Hat Shop
Lord Mayor’s Award of Excellence Presented to the Citizen of the Year
Awarded in acknowledgement of an individual’s lifetime achievements and vast contributions
to the community that make Niagara-on-the-Lake a terrific place in which to live and do business. This award recognizes long term achievements and contributions to the community.
- 2011 winner, Mary Snider
- 2010 winner, Gary Burroughs
- 2009 winner, Dan Patterson
- 2008 winner, John Peller
- 2007 winner, Joy Ormsby
- 2006 winner; Mrs Laura Dodson
- 2005 winner; Mr. and Mrs. Paul Bosc
- 2004 winner, Vintage Inns
- 2003 winner, Niagara Credit Union Arena Fundraising Committee:
- Jill Barber
- Jack Bell
- Wally Bogusat
- Jim Collard
- Mark Edwards
- Al Janzen
- Ward Simpson
- Richard Wall
- Rob Weier
- John Wiens
- 2002 winner, Robert Allen